U.S. History/U.S. History

Historian Frederick Jackson Turner emphasized the frontier's function as a 'safety valve' that reduced discord by drawing off people from the overcrowded eastern seaboard.  In light of eighteenth-century expansion in to the frontier and the creation of backcountry settlements, would you agree or disagree with this thesis?

Generally speaking, opportunity due to economic expansion on the expanding frontier probably did  help during the 18th and 19th Centuries in America.  People did not have to fight over a limited amount of land or other vital resources.  There was, of course, some discord in disputes over property.  But the ability to obtain cheap or even free land in the West always provided opportunity for ambitions people who had little opportunity to inherit or buy land in the east.

- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar