U.S. History/American revolution quote

What does the quote, "A revolution not made, but prevented," mean?

Generally speaking the quote means that the American Revolution was not a true revolution.  It did not completely overturn the economic and social structure in the colonies, nor even the political structure since the colonial elites remained in control.  The action taken to remove British control of the colonies actually prevented a true revolution which would have led to a complete overthrow of the political, economic, and social structures.

I hope this helps!
- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar