U.S. History/American revolution quote

David Grappo wrote at 2014-03-05 19:17:47
Many historians who are unsympathetic to the American Revolution argue, as does the answer here, that the American Revolution was not a true revolution. They are wrong.

The American Revolution threw out the traditional European idea that governments should be run by kings and ruling families. European governments of the time espoused the notion of the "divine right of kings." The American Revolution established the idea that the people themselves are the source of government power, and they can change it if they want to. That idea has now become so widely accepted that many people forget that it was revolutionary when first adopted in the American colonies. That is what was revolutionary about the American Revolution.

The best source for the meaning of the American Revolution is still Thomas Paine's book: Common Sense. He examines the history of the idea of proper government and advocated the revolutionary idea that the people should govern themselves - they don't need kings.

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar