U.S. History/saddam hussain

Question
people say since saddam and his regime toppled by western forces there has been utter chaos in iraq  can you just explain briefly what saddam did to avoid that chaos and now nearly 8 years since his death what has allowed that chaos to uprise and spiral out of control  please answer val

Answer
Saddam Hussein maintained order by ruthlessly crushing any dissent to his regime.  The Shia majority was suppressed and kept weak and impoverished.  A powerful military, political intelligence and security forces prevented any dissent or organized opposition.  When Hussein and his regime were removed, various Shia groups, largely funded and supported by Iran took control of the government.  But the Sunnis who had been favored under Hussein have opposed the new regime, leading to continuing struggles for power.  On top of all that, the chaos from the civil war in Syria has given radical groups the space to organize and move into Iraq.

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy