U.S. History/United States' History

Hello Mr. Troy,
As an old grand-father, I've seen many things throughout my entire life, and the history of the United States had always been immensely interesting for me.

I would like to know, from the 20th century to now on, what are the major sources of regional, continental, and global power of the United Sates ? Can these sources also be seen as the source of limitations to her power ?

Thank you very much for helping me out enrich my knowledge, and for taking time to answer my question. I really appreciate that.

The major source of US power it its vast wealth.  The US has by far the largest GDP in the world.  This allows it to spend more on military power than almost all other countries in the world combined.  The US also extends power by conditionally providing foreign aid to other countries that support its interests.  It also binds countries in trade agreements that are necessary for most foreign economies.

The US also benefits from its location, sitting on a continent where it is bordered by only two other countries.  One of those countries (Canada) is also rather wealthy and has a close friendship with the US.  The other country (Mexico) is poor, somewhat dependent on the US, and certainly poses no military threat.  As a result, the US can focus most of its resources on disputes in other parts of the world.

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar