U.S. History/al queda

following iraq war why did the al quedo inflate a civil war between sunnis and the shias   how did they do this?  and the second question is what were their political motivation? val

Al Qaeda is a Sunni Muslim organization.  It views the Shia as apostates that need to be suppressed and eradicated.  When Saddam Hussein was taken out of power, the Shia majority in Iraq took power in elections.  They were further supported by the Shia government in Iran.  The Sunni minority, which had always supported Hussein, was in the position of being minority rebels.  Al Qaeda provided support and guidance to these rebels.  It was an opportunity to kill Westerners, which Al Qaeda always likes to do, as well as prevent Iraq from becoming a Shia dominated power center.

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar