U.S. History/cuban missile

Question
how was the cuban missile crisis resolved in your personal opinion did it relate at all to Americas foreign policies

Answer
The Cuban Missile Crisis arose when the Soviet Union attempted to install medium range nuclear missiles in Cuba.  The US had attempted to invade Cuba the year before (the Bay of Pigs invasion) and Cuba thought having a nuclear response would deter the US from trying again.  

The Soviets saw a benefit in having the missiles there since Cuba was practically on the US border.  This meant they could more accurately hit US targets than they could with the long range missiles fired from the Soviet Union.  This would presumably make the US more reluctant to start a nuclear war.

The Crisis was eventually resolved after the US promised not to invade Cuba again, and to remove its nuclear missiles from Turkey (which was on the Soviet border).

Had the US not taken such an aggressive stand against the Cuban government, and had not placed so many intermediate range missiles in Europe, the Soviets probably would never have felt the need to install the missiles in Cuba.

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy