U.S. History/1840 Migration Route

How would a family leaving Savannah, Ga travel to San Antonio, Tx in 1840? Their economical status was wealthy. I saw there was a trail from St. Louis through Austin, but wasn't sure if there might have been a route on water from GA to St. Louis or if their was a faster route from Savannah's port to Houston at that time.
Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Hello Mer,

Before railroad routes expanded, traveling by water was faster, cheaper, and safer than land travel. So, a well-off traveler in 1840 would have sailed from Savannah to Corpus Christi or Houston and then gone overland to San Antonio.

Hope that helps!

U.S. History

Marc Aperio

I'm able to answer most questions about US History, whether related to political, social, economic, or military issues.

I've studied American history for nearly 20 years. I'm currently volunteering for AllExperts in Medieval and European history.

My newest book WE NEED TO TALK: 27 DIALOGUES ON RACE IN AMERICA is available in the Amazon Kindle store. Also the author of AMERICAN REVOLUTION 2016: RATIONALE AND AIMS FOR RADICAL CHANGE

BA History (High Honors)