U.S. History/Andrew Carnegie

Question
What factors might have motivated Carnegie to write his essay on wealth, and for whom do you think he wrote it? What inferences can you draw about the social and political context during which Carnegie wrote, which may have inspired his essay?

Answer
Carnegie had accumulated great wealth, and was also well acquainted with most other wealthy industrialists of his time.  His essay was designed in part to convince these men to help distribute their wealth.  But also to convince the voting public that the wealthy were best able to put their wealth to use, and that heavy income taxes on the wealthy were not to be favored.

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy