U.S. History/history and religion with politics

Question
Michael you said you would combine history,religion with politics  instead of economics and politics  can you give me a stronger analytical response why in more then 200 words to why you'd combine history and religion with politics  please advise and from your previous answer how does 'comparative political analysis' benefit a student  does it build skills that may be relevant in government work..please advise val

Answer
I suppose my own interest in combining my study in history and politics is that understanding political systems and political philosophy is best understood by understanding how politics has played out in the past.  In looking at history, we see how different groups worked with each other, what systems lasted and what did not, or what caused them to succeed or fail.  In short, history provides the precedent and experience to modern politics.

I also took a strong interest in religion.  Religion and politics have been tied together rather closely through most of history.  It has been used by political leaders as a non-economic and ideological means of control.  Religion has been a strong motivator of human behavior.  It can often tie into culture, but can also transcend culture and spread among widely diverse cultures.  I have found its linkage to politics very interesting as well.

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy