U.S. History/U.S. History

QUESTION: One more question to ask you, Describe the different outlooks of Enlightenment and evangelical Christians

ANSWER: The Enlightenment Era was considered a time when many people focused more on science and logic to solve problems.  Enlightenment era philosophers were generally deists, which meant they had a general belief in God but did not believe that God regularly intervened to control the course of human events.  Most natural events could be measured and evaluated using the scientific method.  Human learning and experimentation could lead to improvements in the human condition.

Views among many evangelical Christians focus more on God as the center of everything.  Following God's commands are important, even if those commands do not always make sense to us as humans.  Prayer and focus on God's plan for us is more important, as logic and reason of humans are limited and cannot surpass the plans of an omniscient God who demands our unquestioning love and loyalty.

QUESTION: What were the similarities, differences, and connections between England and America?

During most of the Enlightenment era, North America was largely composed of British colonies.  The two groups shared a common language, political tradition, political loyalty, etc.  Trade was robust between England and America.  Many American settlers were trying to create a "New England" where they would reproduce much of what they had experienced in the old country.

There were differences too.  Many English settlers were religious dissenters who objected to the Church of England.   In America, they were permitted to practice their religions under Colonial rules that they set up.  American colonists from England also had more interaction with other cultures.  Many colonists from other countries, such as the Dutch and Germans settled along side English colonists.  There were also native American groups that regularly interacted with the colonists.

Over time, America tended to develop a greater cultural tolerance for many groups.  Its abundance of land also led to greater wealth and political power for the common people.  There was a greater emphasis on self government, and a more radical view of the purpose of government.

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar