U.S. History/Colonial NC

What are the first 2 settlements of North Carolina? And any other useful info regarding this.

Hi Colby,

I'm assuming you mean European settlements as the Native Americans had settlements there going back thousands of years.  We have not records of the first human settlements there.

North Carolina did not become North Carolina until 1691.  But the first European settlement in the area that would someday become North Carolina when 121 settlers led by John White landed on present-day Roanoke Island on July 22, 1587.

This was the first English settlement in the New World.  By 1590, however, all of the colonists on the island had disappeared. No one knows what happened to them.  They may have been massacred by local tribes or succumbed to starvation or disease.  Possibly some may have integrated with and were absorbed by one of the local tribes.  Today, the colony is known to as “The Lost Colony”.

There is no record of any Europeans settling in this area for the next 60 years.  Eventually, colonists from Virginia began moving south into this area.  By 1655 Nathaniel Batts, a trader with the Indians, moved into the area then known as "Albemarle". The first permanent inhabitants were probably John Harvey and his family, who were living in the area by 1659. As more Virginians moved into the Albemarle, causing the European population to grow to several hundred settlers by the 1660s.

- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar