U.S. History/progressivism.

what happened as a result of the prohibition amendment.

Well, there are entire books devoted to this question.  I'm not sure I can provide an adequate answer here.  The short answer is that the 18th Amendment prohibited the production, sale, and transportation of alcohol in the US.

The primary result of the Amendment was to push all alcohol manufacture, sale, distribution, and consumption into illegal enterprises.  Alcohol consumption remained high, but run by organized crime.  It helped give rise to the first national organized crime syndicates, led to increased corruption on many police forces, and generally increased public disrespect for the law.  As a result, the Amendment became the first and only to be repealed a few years later.

- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar