U.S. History/revolutionary war

What roles did Delaware play in the Revolutionary War?

With a population of less than 40,000 at the time, and also deeply divided between loyalists and patriots, Delaware was not a particularly major force in the war.  Many at the time considered Delaware to be part of Pennsylvania, despite its having a separate legislature.  There was one minor battle in Delaware, the Battle of Cooch's Bridge, which served as a minor delaying action as the British moved up from Maryland to take Philadelphia.  The larger battle took place just over the state line in the Battle of Brandywine (in Pa).

Delaware also raised a regiment of soldiers to fight with the Continental Army.  The "Delaware Blues" served with distinction in multiple battles throughout the war.

For more details, you may find this helpful:

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar