U.S. History/united states expansion.

what led the united states to want to become imperialistic.

I suppose all nations with the requisite power and money get imperial desires at some point.  Being an imperial power brings greater wealth back to the people of the home country.  It improves trade and imports.  It also gives the country more control over how the world works.  

The US got to this point at the end of the 1800s.  One could argue that earlier imperial urges were part of the manifest destiny movement that cause the US to take control of most of North America.  When those lands were all occupied, the US turned to other parts of the word, particularly Latin American, Pacific Islands, and Asia for places to increase power and wealth.

- Mike  

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar