U.S. History/Napoleon and the USA

Question
Hello Michael.
200 years ago this week Napoleon attempted to escape from France and the clutches of the victorious Allies. His plan was to sail into exile in the USA.
How would he have been received over there (I'm English)? His arrival would have been unannounced of course, would the US government have let him settle or would they have turned his ship away?
Thanks
Mark

Answer
It's always hard to guess what might have been in history.  But my best guess is that Napoleon likely would have been welcomed in the US, as long as he did not try to get involved in politics or try to take control of Louisiana or something.  If he chose to live quietly as a private citizen, he likely could have found a place in the US.

Napoleon's brother Joseph, after all, had lived in Philadelphia for several years.  The US was not exactly best friends with the UK in 1815, having just completed the War of 1812.  Giving safe harbor to an enemy of England would likely have something with which they could tweek the British.  Americans generally thought well of Napoleon.  Had he made it, he probably would have found a welcoming home.

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy