U.S. History/Civil War - Vicksburg Campaign

I have an assignment asking:
1. Write a one page assignment of you campaign's importance in the scope of the whole Civil War. My campaign is the Vicksburg Campaign

2. Question to answer is Why does the Vicksburg Campaign matter in the Civil War?

Im stuck and I need help.

Does the "Keep this question private" mean only you can see it?

I'm happy to answer, but I make all of my answers public unless they contain personal information.

Vicksburg was critical to control of the Mississippi river, which in turn critical to the transport of troops, weapons, and supplies from the mid-west to the Southern States.  This helped the Union to take control of the Gulf States and cut off support to the Confederate armies in the east.  For this reason, Vicksburg was the key to that strategy.

Vicksburg's fall also allowed the Union to mount a direct attack on the Deep South via Sherman's Atlanta Campaign.  Without the ability to move men and equipment down the Mississippi, the support of Sherman's army would have been much more difficult, if not impossible.

The timing of the fall of Vicksburg was also important given that it fell the day after the Union victory at Gettysburg.  This was the real turning point of the War.  The two combined was a sign that the Union would eventually win.  This was critical to Lincoln's reelection a year later.

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar