U.S. History/American History (1950s-ish)

Hi  Marc,

I'm e-mailing you via the AllExperts website to seek information about America in the 1950s.

I'm planning to write a script based on the journey of a man who lives in this time period. Could you please provide me with some information about things like clothing worn at the time, transportation methods used (esp. info on trains), technology available, common jobs, as well as social norms and trends.

The more in-depth you are, the more historically accurate my script will be. Thank you for any assistance you provide!

Hi Tiegan,

I'll be glad to help. The stark choice, though, is to provide something concise and clear but perhaps not detailed enough, or something long and very detailed, which would risk being too unwieldy. So, here's what I've done. I keep a file of websites that I've used, trust, and that are reliable. The websites I'm suggesting have exactly what you're looking for and more - and you can be selective about what information you need. That way you get enough of what will be helpful, but not more than is necessary.

For a list of 50s inventions, see

This is excellent for 50s clothing, (Note also the links above for information specifically for men's, women's and children's clothing. It's a goldmine!)

Consumer appliances:

On cars:

See the bottom two sections of this, on "The Affluent Society" and "Fifties Society" for general descriptions from a reputable historian:

This is also excellent on Fifties society and its critics:

Finally, Tiegan, for train travel in the 1950s, this is a 10-minute video about train travel in the 1950s, filmed in 1954 - I think it will be exactly what you're looking for!

I hope this is helpful for your project, Tiegan! And good luck!

- Marc  

U.S. History

Marc Aperio

I'm able to answer most questions about US History, whether related to political, social, economic, or military issues.

I've studied American history for nearly 20 years. I'm currently volunteering for AllExperts in Medieval and European history.

My newest book WE NEED TO TALK: 27 DIALOGUES ON RACE IN AMERICA is available in the Amazon Kindle store. Also the author of AMERICAN REVOLUTION 2016: RATIONALE AND AIMS FOR RADICAL CHANGE

BA History (High Honors)