U.S. History/Andrew Jackson

Give and explain one distinct characteristic of Andrew Jackson's presidency?

The Jackson Administration's most distinctive aspect was probably its focus on the common man.  Until Jackson, Presidents had largely come from wealthy elite eastern families.  Although Jackson was also wealthy, he did not come from a wealthy family.  His home was also in the then western State of Tennessee.

Jackson tried to do a number of things as President to make life easier for working people, often at the expense of the wealthy.  For example, he reduced tariffs.  This made imported goods cheaper for consumers, to the disadvantage of manufacturers.  He also shut down the Bank of the United States, a federally chartered bank which was seen a tool of eastern financial interests, operating at the expense of indebted farmers.

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar