U.S. History/U.S. History

My question is compare and contrast ww1 and ww2 foreign policy? Yes i have read several responses about this question. i found a lot great examples about differences, but didn't really get anything about the similarities. Also i would like to know how was cold war home front different and similar to ww2 home front? Please help i have a test about this.

ANSWER: Hello,

The reasons for the US entry into both WWI and WWII were very similar.  In both cases, Germany was seen as a danger to democratic countries in Western Europe, particularly Great Britain.  A German victory over those countries would threaten US trade.  Indeed, the wars themselves affected trade as Germany tried to destroy US shipping that was sending supplies and ammunition to Britain.  There was also an ideological motive for both Presidents Wilson and Roosevelt.  Both wanted to protect and increase the use of democratic government in Europe.  Both wanted to increase US influence over European affairs.  Both also thought the US should have a close relationship with Britain and come to its assistance in times of need.

As to your question about the Cold War vs. WWII home front, in both cases, the civilian population was motivated to defend against a potential surprise attack.  During WWII there were constant air raid drills and civil defense forces set up to tell the civilian population where to go in the event of an attack and what precautions to take.  There were similar actions taken during the Cold War, although the attack fears changed from Nazi Planes to Soviet Nuclear Missiles.  Still, most of the training was still helping civilians get to shelters that might provide some relative safety.

There were also many differences.  WWII was an actual active fighting war with millions of American men out of the country fighting the enemy. Much of the homefront was devoted to building the arms, ammunition and supplies that the troops needed overseas.  The Cold War was not an actual fighting war, although the Wars in Korea and Vietnam were part of the Cold War.  But those wars did not require the all out effort of the people.  There was a limited number of soldiers involved in actual fighting and no need for the massive armament supplies required during WWII.

I hope this helps!

QUESTION: Hi, thanks for the reply to the question. So i have been researching about Lost Generation of 1920s. I know how did the movement generate, who was involved in and how women were treated within the generation. But i can't find out how and why lost generation ended for my research. I have tried several times and did research but couldn't find out why. Also i can't find out how did the movement influence todays world?

I would like if you help me with my research about the movement.

The term "lost generation" generally refers to the generation of Americans who came of age during WWI and the 1920's.  In Europe the terms is sometimes use to refer to the generation of men who died in WWI.  Because there were so many millions of war dead, an entire generation of Europeans were lost to the war.  In America, war deaths were much lower because the US did not enter the war until near its end.  But for many of the men who fought, the war left devastating psychological scars.  Many had trouble adapting to civilian life at home again, much like veterans of today's wars.  The big difference was that the troubled veterans of WWI were a much larger percentage of the population.

The lost generation was not really a movement.  It was a description applied to the young people of the day.  As with any generation, many people had widely varying experiences.  It is foolish to try to apply the same broad bush to everyone's experience of the time.  But generally speaking, the post War era was a time when many were finding that farming was untenable and more people moved to urban living.  Cars were changing the way people lived.  Prohibition drinking, underground gambling, and illegal nightclubs were commonplace, creating a growing disrespect for the law.  Sexual promiscuity was a concern for many, though it does not seem to be anywhere near the levels it is today.  

Like any generation, the young people eventually matured, got married, found jobs, and had children.  Unfortunately, the Great Depression of the 1930's made that quite a struggle for many.  Many middle aged men were still young enough to fight again in WWII, making for a rather difficult life.

Women got the vote in the 1920's.  It was an age of empowerment and advancement, although they still continued to struggle for full equality for many subsequent generations.  Birth control began to become available, though it was largely illegal during this period.  Many women had found work during the war, but were expected to give up there jobs after the war for the men returning home.  Generally, women were still expected to be wives and mothers.

- Mike

U.S. History

Michael Troy

I can answer just about any question on early American History. My specialties are the American Revolution through the Civil War/Reconstruction. I also have greater expertise in matters relating to military, political or legal history.

I have lectured at George Washington University regarding the Civil War, as well as several elementary school Civil War demonstrations. I was also a member of a Civil War reenactment group for about 10 years.

J.D. University of Michigan B.A. George Washington University

Truman Scholar