U.S. History/Spies in Civil War/Montreal

Question
Hello I was wondering if you knew of any good books that talk about the spies from any nation in the Civil War. Including the British,French, Yankees, and Rebs.

Also if you know of any good books that focus on Montreal being the Spy Capital of North America during the Civil War.

Thank You.(:

Answer
Hello,

You might want to take a look at Spies of the Confederacy by John Bakeless.  This discusses some of the key confederate spies.

Confederate operations in Canada is not a well covered topic by most authors in more than a passing way.  There is an older book, probably about 30 years old now called Confederate Operations in Canada and New York by John Headley.  You may want to take a look for that.

You may also want to look at Dixie & the Dominion: Canada, the Confederacy by Adam Mayers.

The French and English were neutral noncombatants during the war, so they did not really have to behave as spies.  Both countries had diplomats and observers on site to keep track of the war.  One of the most famous is the English Col. Fremantle, who published a book called Three Months in the Southern States, April-June 1863.

U.S. History

Michael Troy