U.S. History/War of 1812 outcome/New England Secession

Question
Hello

(My question may or may not need some explaining. If you are already familiar with the subject, please skip the first paragraph and go strait to the question in the second Paragraph.)

I do not believe in the revisionist history that says that the war of 1812 was all about taking Canada and that the Battle of New Orleans was an unnecessary battle. For two reasons one the treaty of Ghent was sinned in 1814, but it wasn't ratified till February. The other reason was that many New Englanders in the Hartford Convention(which advocated for New England Secession), was hoping that the British would win in the battle of New Orleans and take the Louisiana territory back to Spain(which Spain owned from1862-1802 until Napoleon took it from them). The reason for this is ,because of their puritan values they did not want a bunch of Catholics in the U.S., they did not want to lose more representation in congress by having more states block out their voting ability, and they despised slavery.

That being said for the sake of the argument, if the British did win the battle of New Orleans and the Louisiana Territory did go back to Spain and isolated the United States to the Ohio Valley. Would Mexico have taken the Louisiana territory from Spain during the Mexican revolution, or what do you think could have happened?

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Thomas

Answer
Hi Thomas.
Even if the British won the Battle of New Orleans nothing would have changed much.
The land had been sold to US. It was US property. The land would not gone back to Spain no matter the outcome of the battle. Had the US lost the war and it became part British Empire.

In terms of Hartford Convention, the people were extremist members of Federalist Party. It questionable if there would be wide spread support even among Federalist.
While Northern states may not approved of slavery in their back yard, but there was very few wanted nation abolition at the time. That started in 1833 with 60 people. Even at time of the Civil War only 2% of population were abolitionist.

The place where Hartford Convention was held, just closed to public.

U.S. History

Paul Edward Zukowski