U.S. Politics/"tea party"+fiscal cliff

Question
I'm under the impression that the Ultra Conservative Members of both houses seem ready to have the country go into a severe depression rather then forfeit their principles regarding the raising of taxes, etc  is this accurate?
thank you

Answer
Larry,

With the passage of the Fiscal Cliff Deal it is hard to answer.  Vice President Biden's principal argument to Democrats appeared to be that this deal was the best that could be negotiated on a bipartisan basis and that while it might not be popular, "it was better than going over the cliff."  I think that can be said for the Republicans as well.  Clearly there are flaws but in this case both the House and Senate came together with no time to spare.  

U.S. Politics

Jeffrey Hauck