U.S. Politics/law making

Hi, could you help me answer a question in laymen terms. how does a person start out with an idea to make a change and make it a law of the state? (Example:Mr. Smith wants to make it a State law that all oompa loompas be paid $1 a day, how would he do it in today's world)
I think it starts with a petition, what is rest?

I could lecture the point here but instead please see this link which speaks directly to the point and provides diagrams that answer your question:  

See this helpful link as well:

U.S. Politics

Jeffrey Hauck

I would welcome the opportunity to answer questions relating to U.S. Politics.

Criminologist. Professor of Criminal Justice. Licensed Private Detective with expansive clientele base encompassing hundreds of cases. Donates resources and time to the Children's Rescue Network in Orlando, FL.

Associate of Science; Bachelor of Arts; Master of Science, Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree. Graduate of the Law & Government Institute at W.U. School of Law. Concentration of studies in Administrative Law (also known as the "headless fourth branch of government"), and Constitutional Law.