U.S. Politics/sub-government states

I am reading an article ( that uses the following term: "sub-government states."

What does that mean? I never heard that before.

So far, I think it might mean federated states such as Florida, California, Alabama etc.

"Sub-state governments" are any type of government that has been granted a charter from their respective State government to rule itself.  In the United States each and every State is self ruled.  The Federal Government was only created to act as a referee of sorts so that one State could not dominate another, but that is another story (see the history of the 10th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution).  A sub-State government by definition could be any county, city, borough, township, etc. depending upon the charter it was granted.  I am painting with a simple and broad brush but essentially a county petitions the State, and the smaller municipalities petition the county for municipal charters.  Does this make sense?

U.S. Politics

Jeffrey Hauck

I would welcome the opportunity to answer questions relating to U.S. Politics.

Criminologist. Professor of Criminal Justice. Licensed Private Detective with expansive clientele base encompassing hundreds of cases. Donates resources and time to the Children's Rescue Network in Orlando, FL.

Associate of Science; Bachelor of Arts; Master of Science, Doctor of Jurisprudence Degree. Graduate of the Law & Government Institute at W.U. School of Law. Concentration of studies in Administrative Law (also known as the "headless fourth branch of government"), and Constitutional Law.