U.S. Politics/workers

Question
I've often heard that government workers have less accountability than workers in the private sphere. Since I'm not a government worker, I don't exactly understand this. I'm wondering if you can help me figure this out. Obviously if I'm in a private company, I need to satisfy my employer or else I'll get fired. Aren't there employers in government jobs? I would obviously have to report to someone, wouldn't I?

Answer
David,

Your understanding is spot on. The difference is that many employees in the private sector are "at will" employees who have rights but usually can be fired for cause under the proper circumstances.  Government workers are usually unionized and have a higher level of protection in the form of appeals and arbitration to protect their jobs and careers.  In many cases it can be tantamount to a form of abuse because even if the employee commits serious infractions it appears that they cannot have their employment terminated.  If you research binding arbitration, for example, you will find many employees who were reinstated for infractions that would have caused a private sector employee to be fired as there is no recourse for them.

Jeff  

U.S. Politics

Jeffrey Hauck