U.S. Politics/Passport Issuing Business Rules.

Question
Dear Jeffrey

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passport

1. A new passport which is issued in our country India is valid for Ten years. After Ten years the passport has to be renewed. Is the same Business Rule applicable in all other countries i.e. Other Asian countries, North America, South America, Australia, Europe, Middle East etc ?.

2. In case tomorrow the Ministry of External Affairs , Government of India has to take a decision of changing the passport validity from 10 years to 15 years, 20 years, 5 years then on what parameters this decision will be taken by the Ministry of External Affairs Team ?.

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Prashant,

1.  Yes.  Most nations issue passports that are valid for a ten year window.    

2.  I am not exactly sure why the Ministry of External Affairs would change the validity or expiration of Indian Passports.  Sadly, that is outside of my expertise.

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Jeff

U.S. Politics

Jeffrey Hauck