U.S. Politics/U.S. Involvement in the Middle East

What are the most important texts (books specifically, but essays are fine) regarding the United State's involvement in the Middle East [Afghanistan-now]? An expansive list would be appreciated, covering this time period in detail and with context. Thank you in advance.

Hi Nathaniel,

For the US in Afghanistan, I recommend Carlotta Gall, The Wrong Enemy: America in Afghanistan, 2001–2014; and, Seth Jones, In the Graveyard of Empires: America's War in Afghanistan. Although both of these books focus on the period since 2001, each furnishes ample historical context.

For general accounts of the US in the Middle East, I recommend:

- Joel Migdal, Shifting Sands: The United States in the Middle East

- David Lesch, The Middle East and the United States: History, Politics, and Ideologies (This is a textbook, but still appropriate for the general reader)

- Hugh Wilford, America's Great Game: The CIA’s Secret Arabists and the Shaping of the Modern Middle East

Each is relatively current, is authoritative, and each strives to be an objective account of a controversial topic.

Hope this helps!

U.S. Politics

Marc Aperio

I'll be glad to answer any question related to US politics, regarding domestic or international issues.

I've studied US history and politics for nearly 20 years. I'm currently also volunteering in the American, European, and Medieval history categories.

My newest book WE NEED TO TALK: 27 DIALOGUES ON RACE IN AMERICA is available in the Amazon Kindle store. Also the author of AMERICAN REVOLUTION 2016: RATIONALE AND AIMS FOR RADICAL CHANGE

BA History (High Honors)