UK Autos/MGB headlights stay on when switched off

1980 MGB. The high beams stopped working. I removed steering wheel cowl and noted the blue/white wire off the presumed proper contact site. When I connect it, the high beams function perfectly, however, when I try to turn off the lights, they stay on. ???

Hi Andrew,
Well this could be a number of things causing this problem,

This could be a simple problem like a faulty switch, a wire in the wrong place or a bit of wire touching another wire, but first i will need some more information to diagnose your problem.

After receiving the information you provided earlier on the problem could be that the wire is in the wrong place or touching another wire.
First of all make sure that the blue and white wire is not touching the red and green wire or the brown wire at the back of the switch. If the connection for the wires have numbers make sure the blue and white wire is in connection number 1.

hope this helps if not feel free to message me back.

UK Autos

Mechanical, Servicing, Restoration, Parts for Vintage and Classic cars mainly British Vintage and Classic cars, donít know much about modern electronic systems in newer cars but do have a lot of knowledge about Vintage and Classic cars and cars up to the late 90's.

I have growing up around Vintage and Classic cars my whole life and used to help my uncle service and repaired them since 1992. After i left school i did my apprenticeship in mechanics starting in 1998 and stopped doing mechanics in 2003 due to a slipped disc in my back. By the age of 13 i could strip and rebuild engines and gearboxes for 20's, 30's and 50's cars that my uncle used for weddings i could also service them as well then my uncle would check to make sure everything was done right. Please Note my expert area is mainly on Vintage and Classic Cars up to 1990.

1998 to 2002 Aprentaship with P&G Autos 2002 to 2008 employed as a mechanic with P&G Autos