UK Computing/Google Translation Button

QUESTION: Dear Mark,

I hope you can help me. I do ancestry research and need to translate Dutch into English.  I had no problems using the Google translate button until recently, but now when I use this, it mentions "translation in progress" and shows a little circle going around and around and will not ultimately translate.

I have followed instructions on the Google Toolbar but with no luck. I have looked at many forums but still cannot solve this problem.

Can you help me solve this problem.

With thanks.

Google 2
Google 2  
Google 1
Google 1  
ANSWER: Hello Sandy

Welcome to AllExperts group and thank you for your interesting question. It has been my experience with Google translate , that sometimes the extension does not work correctly , as it is a 'plug in' to the browser , and may drop an instruction set or two as it receives the data , through the network. This manifests itself often as the ' blue circle of nothingness'!
Probably the easiest ( and simplest ) way of resolving the problem is as follows.

Click the three bars on top right of your Google Chrome browser ( I am assuming you have Chrome and not IE)

Click " More Tools" on the drop down

Click " Extensions"

scroll down to the Google translate extension

Unclick " Enabled " , then click it again to activate it , then look for the blue clickable " options tab underneath the extension. (SEE PHOTO )Then :

"Dont display icon or pop up and SAVE !!! (SEE PHOTO )

Any highlighted text can then be translated or printed as normal.

If it still gives you a problem , then simply delete the extension following the initial steps as above , but once the drop list of extensions is selected , click the animated dustbin level with Google translate and it will uninstall.
Once done install a fresh copy of Google Translate from the extensions drop down at the foot of the page. SEE PHOTO
I hope this resolves your problem
Please supply ratings for questions as it may help others with similar problems
Best Regards

QUESTION: Thank you for your quick reply.

Unfortunately, I should have told you that I have Internet Explorer and use Google, but not Google Chrome.  I also have Windows 7.

I use to have no problem on one particular Dutch website I use almost daily, but now Google Translation is just not working at all on it.  I do not think the problem is with the Dutch website I use though.  I have used the Google Tool Bar option to get to Tools to check/adjust my settings, but this makes no difference.  Need to think outside the box.

Any help would to solve this problem would be most appreciated.

Thank you.

ANSWER: Hello Again Sandy

Thanks for that information. I do really suggest that you download Google Chrome , it is Sooooo much faster than IE and with better extensions. IE is now bloatware and so poor , I gave up on it many years ago. However..........
If you really want to continue with IE , try using the Bing Translator tool here , which should be suitable for your needs. You can use web URLs and ordinary text , either cut or pasted.

Best Regards

QUESTION: Thanks Mark.  Have used Bing for the odd translation word, but may have to do this again. However, I may have to look at Google Chrome.  Problem is whatever one uses, there are always problems as computer software/hardware is not a perfect science.

Anyway, thanks once again.

Hey Sandy

Thanks again, I can recommend Chrome ( and set the home page to ) in settings. A nice clear setting, completely clutter free. By the way Maxthon browser is the quickest browser and although a bit on the graphically 'blocky' side and Chinese ! it is very swift and I use it a lot.
You are right about PCs......still it gives me a job.
As someone said " Would you drive a car that crashes three times a day for no reason ? "
Any further questions just give me a shout.
Pleased to be of help.

UK Computing

Mark Thomas

Help with choosing all kinds of computers and peripherals,from desktops,netbooks,laptops.and gaming rigs. Setting up in home or office environment.Previously held 12 categories of computing "expertise" Installation of software and advice on network and hardware set ups, installations , Virus and malware removal, purchasing the right system , and suggestions for "freeware".I repair and install PCs as a job. General polite and friendly advice to beginners and experienced users with just about all things in the computing world. Here to help and glad to assist you. (30+yrs experience )Volunteer Expert Since Oct 2010 Please re - send question if I am shown as "MAXED OUT" There is a lot of problems out there.

Systems Network installer and controller,System roll out and beta tester supervisor Network administrator and system analyst. National Instructor in various PC systems I have been a computer "geek" for over 30yrs and and have purchased and repaired almost every type of computer from the ZX Spectrum in 1982,right up to my current advanced gaming rig. I have encountered every problem and made every mistake along the way ! and can hopefully give sound practical advice to those new and old , as I have worn their shoes, and been there and done that.

Voted 2nd "Top Expert" in all categories Sept. 2010 ( 7,500 experts )

1 x lifelong practical experience graduate Various Systems and Technical courses too numerous ( and boring ) to list.

National Computer Instructor Top PC expert in 12 categories 2010