UK Relationships/I can't under stand my friend

Question
QUESTION: Hi Matthew, Hope you are doing well. Sorry for this lengthy mail.
I have this friend name David (name changed). We both are in our early 30s. We have been living together on a rented house for the past 1and half year.
Though I knew him casually since I worked with him for the same firm only for 6 months then in 2006. After that we were in touch very formally with each other. we used to talk or meet rarely. In 2010 i moved to another city. It was challenging for me to take roots in a new city.
Between 2010-2014 I had been through a lot of shit like, not having a good job, relationship problem with my partner, dealing with break up, shifting with a friend who was a patient of depression and having hard time living with her.
I was living with same depressed girl when David came to the same city to work with a start up company and was living on company's expanse. He started being in touch with me. Somehow the company didn't do well and he had to go back (Which i did not know then). He called me up and said "Can I live with you since i feel very lonely in hotel room. Though company is going to provide me a house but it will take some time. Can I live with you for a month". He stayed with me for two months and didn't share rent (I told him not to out of courtesy). Later, I told him that he had to share rent and other expanse if he was going to live anymore in the house. The girl went back to her parents and David and I left to live together.
David did not have to pay brokerage since it was already paid. He agreed to pay deposit but could never arrange and I end up paying the whole deposit. He shifted with empty handed since I have everything that is needed at a home. Time to time his girlfriend kept coming; sometime for a month or two months (he paid her expanse for food). I dont know how did he manage to fulfill her shopping expanse whilst he had no money for deposit. He tried his hand to start his own business with one of his friend with no luck.
Since last year Nov. Dec. Jan. 14 Feb. 14 I am paying his rent. He always says (with a sorry face) that he will arrange but does not talk about the rent even when the due date passes away. He says how thankful he is that I helped him in such a critical situation (which I started hating now). Lately he keeps on falling sick and dont take care of himself at all. He share monthly food and grossery expanse though (Which is not equals to what i pay) . Recently he started doing job again but left after 2 months.
He doesnt take any interest settling the finances on monthly basis.  I am stressed not only about the money he borrowed but also the whole rent I will have to pay. I am worried about his health also. He says he wont do job any more and will start his own business. I also want to live tension free. Sometimes I feel what if I am being used? Sometimes it feels like he is dependent on me. How can I avoid this unnecessary tension building between us without ruining our friendship? Thinking about some other roommate seems like ditching him. Matthew, can you please give me clear perspective about this whole situation and advice as to how to tackle it.

Thanking you in anticipation
Deepak

ANSWER: did u get email i sent

QUESTION: Hi Matthew,

I did not get any email from you.

ANSWER: i have no pending questions,i emailed you,

QUESTION: Hi Matthew,

I checked again and there is no email. Could you please copy and paste your reply here only?

Thank You!

Answer
i would kindly answer again but please can u shorten it and break it down a lil,main stuff,its 3;50am aboout to go to bed and this is very very lengthy and so much at one time,can u shorten it and i will be sure to answer once i awaken,about to turn in now

UK Relationships

matthew