UK Relationships/Friendships

Question
Hi
I am a 25 year old guy and i have very few friends if any. I have tried talking about this with family but they feel I need to talk to someone else. I have written to these websites before but always had a vague or an answer that doesn't suit my situation.
Through out school I was bullied for being quite and because my appearence. The friends I had at school either moved away or they themselves became the ones who bullied me.
I have always believed in treating those how you yourself would like to be treated. So I've tried to be nice and helpful to everyone I've met no matter how they have been with me. But I fear that people recognise this and use me for there gain and when I am no longer of use they drop me.
Currently I have only two people that I call friends. One of which was a guy I have know for about 15 years. He himself was bullied due to his weight. Over the years I have listened to his problems and gave him advice best I could. I even help him with his weight loss. Once he lost weight he became very popular. I have tried speaking to him about my own problems but he is never interested and changes the subject usually about himself. I see him less and less. He only really gets in contact with me if he wants/needs something or there is no one else. I've tried contacting him but the last text I sent him was over a week ago and I know he's seen it but never replied.
The other is a girl I work with. She is only seasonal but I am full time. When she was at work we became close friends much to the point that people thought we were in a relationship. I have more or less fallen for her but she is in a relationship and has two kids.I no we can't be together but I would like to at least be friends. When she stopped for the season she said she would text me and keep in contact. Which we do but I feel as if I start a lot of the conversations and she abruptly ends them but not texting back. The only real time she gets in contact with me is when her boyfriend is at work or if she hasn't heard from me in a while. We have made plans in past to meet up or one of us helping the other with things but she nearly always cancels at last minute. I find this hard as it something I look forward to all week and then I have nothing.
I find it difficult att times to talk to people I have never met before. I just don't know what to say to them or how to keep a conversation going. I don't want to go out to pubs and clubs myself to meet someone as I'm not comfortable doing it nor is it seen as being acceptable in my area. My mum has suggested online dating not really to find a girlfriend necessarily but just to speak to people but this really is my thing either.
Do you have any suggestions on how to meet and make new friends without really having any? I don't want to lose the friends I have (I've been told I should stop talking to them by other websites) as I don't want to have none but how do I stop them from using me and get them to involve me or talk to me more often?

Answer
When you love yourself, that's when you're most beautiful. ... If you can learn to love yourself and all the flaws, you can love other people so much better. And that ... Love yourself, whatever makes you different, and use it to make you stand out.

http://elitedaily.com/women/30-ways-to-learn-to-love-yourself-and-be-happy-with-
http://lifehacker.com/how-to-develop-your-charisma-and-become-more-likable-16739

UK Relationships

matthew