UK/Scottish/Welsh Law/scottish law

Question
can the accused be acquitted of a crime if one member of the jury has stepped outside of the jury room for a very brief period of time

Answer
Alison,

There is no definitive answer to this question, especially as you have not provided the full 'facts', eg was it during the discussion or the decision-making (voting) process, etc etc.

if something 'suspicious' has occurred relating to a jury, the person with knowledge of same should report the matter to the Clerk of the Court, who would advise the Judge or Sheriff (High Court or Sheriff and Jury), who would confer with the prosecution (Advocate Depute/Procurator Fiscal) and defence (QC/advocate/agent), probably interview the juror and, possibly other juror(s) and then make a decision as to whether it affected the due process of law and the rights of the accused.

UK/Scottish/Welsh Law

Bruce Fyfe