You are here:

UK/Scottish/Welsh Law/If 40 year old men had sex with a 16 year old girl


If 40 year old men had sex with a 16 year old girl, and this is legal under Scotland law, would he have parental rights? How difficult would it be for him to have custody of his baby, if the mother violates his court order visitation rights? He says that the baby can live with the mother, but he wants to see the baby every weekend. He also wants to settle the child custody dispute civil. The 40 year old says that he wants to courts in Scotland to issue a court order that says that the baby cannot leave the United Kingdom before age 16 or 18. He also wants the courts in Scotland to inform the US State Department not to issue the baby a US passport before age 18. The baby is a citizen of the United Kingdom and the United States.

I'm sorry, but this is the last related question I will answer.

Parental rights would only extend to any child conceived as a result, not to the female.

Custody/visitation/residency/travel etc rights would be decided by a Scottish civil court under Scots law (the child being a UK, not US citizen). No Scottish court would be able to instruct the USA to issue or not issue the child with a US passport (although it would not be a US citizen, so that would be unlikely), in the same way that US laws only apply within the USA.

UK/Scottish/Welsh Law

All Answers

Ask Experts


Bruce Fyfe


Scottish Criminal Law - any area. NOT IMMIGRATION ISSUES. I am a retired, operational Police Officer with 30 years` service. As well as my own knowledge and training, I can draw on many other resources in the Scottish criminal justice system and welcome the challenge. NB Scottish, not English; criminal, not civil or immigration!


Please see information above.

Master of Arts degree; Police Basic and Advanced Police examinations.

©2017 All rights reserved.