Ubuntu and Associated Distributions/Ubuntu 12.04 VPS

I just leased an Ubuntu 12.04 VPS (From VPS Unlimited), but the only desktop they had preconfigured was XFCE. I'd like to switch to Cinnamon or Unity 2D (preferrably Cinnamon). I've got plenty of resources to run it.

Thanks for any help or direction you can give!

If it were me, and I had storage available, I'd do a disk image first.  Then I'd start running apt-get commands to install packages I wanted, and remove those I don't want.  The disk image is important.  You may find yourself stuck, as a result of a compiler version change -- or something else of similar importance.  You'd create the disk image by running a live Linux CD/DVD to create it, and to restore it.

Another approach is, to leave Ubuntu as it is.  Instead, go here:

Ubuntu came from Debian and it uses apt as its package manager.  This makes it as easy as it can get, to learn one and apply it to the other.  Just read the wiki about Debian Live to learn how to include the packages you want.

Linux enables nearly as many ways to do something, as there are people who use it.

Does this help -- or is it too far off-track for where you want to go?

Ubuntu and Associated Distributions

John Crout

The command line, configuration files, recompiling the kernel, maintaining a system, hardening a system, package managers, browsers. Questions about Debian, Ubuntu, KUbuntu, MINT, Knoppix, CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise, Linux Wifi, embedded Linux, Live CD, forensics tools, vulnerability and pen testing tools, virtual installations.

LiveCDs, Debian, Red Hat, CentOS, Running on VMware, MINT, Ubuntu Studio, NIST Working Groups,

Association for Computing Machinery Information Systems Security Association (ISSA), United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, ISC2, ACM

RTCA/DO-178B, "Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification", (member of SC-167), RTCA/DO-160C, "Environmental Conditions and Test Procedures for Airborne Equipment", (member of SC-135) Student Doctor Magazine EE Times Network World blog Navy CIO blog Medforum CGAUX groups and CGAUX National Staff groups Analytic Bridge LinkedIn

Master of Public Health (Epidemiology and Biostatistics) Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (Computer Engineering Option) Digital Forensics Basics, Texas Engineering Extension Secure Software, Texas Engineering Extension Network Security, Texas Engineering Extension Infosec Basics, Texas Engineering Extension Information Assurance Awareness, Department of Defense Information Systems Security, United States Coast Guard Online safety for parents and children, Fort Collins Police Department Spear Phishing, Defense Information Security Agency, DISA Spear Phishing, United States Coast Guard, USCG Meeting the Media, Testifying, Presentations, Arch Lustberg FEMA (ICS-100, -200, -210, -700, 800) United States Coast Guard Defense Information Systems Agency United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Crosby Quality Workgroup Facilitator Trainer Crosby Quality Education System Wisconsin University, ISSA training workshops