Ubuntu and Associated Distributions/Build linux distro

Hello sir,

Recently I've been trying to create my own linux distro based on Ubuntu. For this I've explored many methods which include use of softwares such as Ubuntu Customization kit, manually modifying the iso, etc. I am able to add new packages, delete few packages, change the Desktop wall paper etc. But one problem persists, after I create a bootable USB of the new distro and run it, instead of "Try 'new_distro_name' without installing", it is still displaying "Try 'Ubuntu' without installing". I've modified the grub.conf files and many others and am exhausted. Could you please guide me towards achieving it. It would be very helpful to me.
Thanking you sir.

From your question I gather you're trying to create a "myUbuntu" CD or USB that looks and runs as does Ubuntu, and includes installing it to a hard drive.  Isn't this answered on the ubuntuforums.org website or in notes from someone's .pps?  In either case, please reply with the links you've followed while trying to create your distro.

I'm reasonably certain this requires you to create a copy of the version you start with in its own directory, copying /sys, /proc and /dev to it, then chrooting to it, making changes you want to make, exiting from the chroot environment, running genisoimage on the directory (using options that will let it run from an existing OS) and running wodim to create your distro's first CD from the directory your chrooted into.

But I'd like to know what links you've followed in order to see if a step is missing, or if something else may be awry.  The link for installing it, that you want to include on the desktop, I believe to be part of the startup script when you run Ubuntu.

Hope this helps.
- john

Ubuntu and Associated Distributions

John Crout

The command line, configuration files, recompiling the kernel, maintaining a system, hardening a system, package managers, browsers. Questions about Debian, Ubuntu, KUbuntu, MINT, Knoppix, CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise, Linux Wifi, embedded Linux, Live CD, forensics tools, vulnerability and pen testing tools, virtual installations.

LiveCDs, Debian, Red Hat, CentOS, Running on VMware, MINT, Ubuntu Studio, NIST Working Groups,

Association for Computing Machinery Information Systems Security Association (ISSA), United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, ISC2, ACM

RTCA/DO-178B, "Software Considerations in Airborne Systems and Equipment Certification", (member of SC-167), RTCA/DO-160C, "Environmental Conditions and Test Procedures for Airborne Equipment", (member of SC-135) Student Doctor Magazine EE Times Network World blog Navy CIO blog Medforum CGAUX groups and CGAUX National Staff groups Analytic Bridge LinkedIn

Master of Public Health (Epidemiology and Biostatistics) Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (Computer Engineering Option) Digital Forensics Basics, Texas Engineering Extension Secure Software, Texas Engineering Extension Network Security, Texas Engineering Extension Infosec Basics, Texas Engineering Extension Information Assurance Awareness, Department of Defense Information Systems Security, United States Coast Guard Online safety for parents and children, Fort Collins Police Department Spear Phishing, Defense Information Security Agency, DISA Spear Phishing, United States Coast Guard, USCG Meeting the Media, Testifying, Presentations, Arch Lustberg FEMA (ICS-100, -200, -210, -700, 800) United States Coast Guard Defense Information Systems Agency United States Coast Guard Auxiliary Crosby Quality Workgroup Facilitator Trainer Crosby Quality Education System Wisconsin University, ISSA training workshops