Understanding Computers/PLEASE EXPLAIN

Question
I was wondering would you please explain to me: what does it mean when you encode a DVD?

(P.S would you please try to give your answer is a easy was that I can understand)
Thanks

Answer
Hello Cameron,
I guess that you mean the DVD contains music or movies?
if so, encoding is a way of compressing and decompressing the content of music or movie. there are different way of compression that we do not want to go in detail. Only you should know that they compress these data in order to save much more data with higher quality in a DVD. So when you have a DVD with encoded format, the DVD player should also support that format in order to show or play it. For computer, you can always install the encoder, i.e., an application that can decode these compressed data.
If you are interested to know more about that you can find some information here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_compression

If you have further question do not hesitate to ask.  

Understanding Computers

Hosnieh [Sara] Rafiee