Understanding Computers/laptop slower

Question
Hi Dan, thanks for bein available.  I bought a used HP laptop at a computer store, at least 5 yrs old, with Windows 7.  It worked fine for 8-9 months, but now it is slow & freezes up for a few seconds on occasion.  This just started happening a couple weeks ago.  I tried connecting at an outside location (not my home), & it does the same thing, so it's not my internet service.  When I fire it up, it seems to set up OK, maybe a little slow.  But then I click my Google Chrome, & it takes >10 seconds before the Google main page even appears.  When it was workin fine a couple weeks back, it popped up immediately.

I looked to uninstall something.  There's 27 programs, but I didn't see anythin that looks ominous.  Then I went to System Configuration, services tab, which has well >100 items, but nearly all are Microsoft, & the others seem legit.  On the Startup tab, I unchecked of the 15 or so items, leaving HP quicklaunch, Intel (3 items) & my AVG antivirus (3 items).  I ran Disk Cleanup & got rid of temp files & recycle bin.  Then I defragmented the hard drive.  None of these made a difference.  I don't use it much just to check email & look up stuff, so I don't think I ran into a bad website.  What can I do to get it back to normal?

Answer
Hello Greg:
Thanks for asking this question.
I think what you did for cleanup and defragmentation is good ways to do trouble-shooting.
Let's try a couple of things.  

1. Please go to Internet Option and delete all Browse-history and cookies.  This some times helps.
2. I am wondering if some big program is automatically running when you boot up laptop.  Is Skype running when you start laptop?  You can quit running Skype.  Skype is a big program and it potentially uses a lot of computer resources.
3. If laptop still has a performance problem, I think your Registry system may be degraded.  Registry needs to be optimized. I am not sure you yourself can do this, but there are commercially available Software to do this. They are normally called 'Registry Cleanup' etc.
This program is not free, and it may charge anywhere $29 - $40.  You need to make a decision for this.

I hope this helps speed up your laptop.
Thanks.  

Understanding Computers

dan