Understanding Computers/BRAND NEW 2

Question
QUESTION: (This is not a spam question or a homework question)
I was wondering would you please explain to me in a simple way that I can understand: wot dose it mean by updating a computer operating system and upgrading a computer operating system?

Thanks

ANSWER: Hello Cameron:
Thanks for asking this question.

Operating system manages and controls virtually all functions of computer. It consists of many programs and modules such as main memory allocation, I-O (Input Output) devices, etc.  
When they are talking about updates, it normally involves a particular software or components of OS such as security.  Regarding upgrade, we are really talking about new system such as from XP to Window 8.  We are talking about a major system changes entirely such as 32 bit or 62 bit machine, structural change of OS architecture.

Please refer to the following articles for more details.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2102606/how-to-keep-your-pc-secure-when-microsoft
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-update

Hope this helps your understands.
Thanks.

QUESTION: (This is not a spam question or a homework question)
I was wondering would you please explain to me in a simple way that i can understand: wot actually happens when you update or upgrade a computer operation system?

Thanks

Answer
Hello Cameron,

Normally, any data files that have been saved in the hard disk or users folder will remain the same.  You might see slightly different computer command or screen icon.  For instance, the way you can access to control panel (where you can manage the behavior such as brightness of display or mode of hibernate, etc) could be slightly different.  If you have been using Chrome from Google instead of Window XP or Window 8, you will see quite differences in terms of creating files or access to Web.  However, you can do the same functionality such as create file, move file, delete files.

Hope this helps you.
Thanks.  

Understanding Computers

dan