Unix/Linux OS/vncViewer

Question
Two days ago Staples installed the vnc viewer in order to connect the HP computer (Windows 7) to the Dell (Windows XP).
It worked fine until I turned off the computers for the night.  The next day the icon would not connect to the Dell.  The help line suggested turning off the firewall on both computers.  I did this without success.
Would you have a solution?

Answer
Hi Ruth,
Not really in the Linux realm, but here's the info you'll need to dig up:
1) Detailed properties of the VNC Viewer icon used on the HP -- (i.e. Connection info - like the target application, the IP address and the port number... this info may be stored or not in the icon. If not, then provide the info you are trying to key in to make the connection to the Dell)
2) Detailed info on whether the VNC Server on the Dell is set up to be run manually or as a service. (Best to have it set up as a service)
3) The network card setup information on the Dell. (Best for it to be static IP vs. DHCP so you can connect by IP vs. name)
4) The firewall settings on the Dell. (you'll need to have port 5900 allowed for inbound VNC)
Once you have all that, you'll probably have figured out what isn't set up correctly.
If not, tap on me again with the info and we'll go from there!
Larry

Unix/Linux OS

mkitwrk