Unix/Linux OS/grub loading hangs

Respected Sir,

I installed fedora 17 on an external hard disk but the fedora hangs in grub loading .It simply shows message "grub is loading , welcome to grub !" and hangs . Please help me regarding this issue . I have win 7 on my laptop and tried to install fedora on external drive.

Hi Ravi,

It depends on how/where you installed the bootloader.

If you booted up an install CD/DVD and installed everything on the external drive and installed grub on boot sector on the same drive, then it might be pointing to a different drive if you've changed your BIOS settings to boot from the external drive... (and it wasn't set that way during installation...) (i.e. now it is drive 0 vs. drive 2 or 3...)
So, it may be trying to find the boot filesystem on a drive that isn't there.

If you have a grub prompt, you can boot manually using grub commands if you know the hardware config...
If you don't have a grub prompt, you should have about 5 seconds to access it during the boot phase by hitting just about any key.

Here's a good wiki entry on grub:

I hope there's something in the info that helps!

Unix/Linux OS

Expert: Creating and managing *nix database/application servers for use with dl4/unibasic/mysql/apache/thoroughbred applications, especially in medical environments. Strengths: scripting, backup and disaster recovery, mysql, apache2, routing, samba/smbfs/cifs, LPRng, CUPS, telnet/ssh/sftp, vsftp, rsync, new system preparation, system duplication, database design, system conversions (AIX/SCO-OS5/Linux) Currently working on scripted setup of LAMP servers using PDO for MySQL and Oracle. Compiling Apache2, openssl, php and libxml2 from source and linking to libraries for MySQL and Oracle InstantClient. Works great so far! Familiar With: php, c, awk, sed, gnome, nfs and lots of other *nix tools

I've been head of development at our company since 1984. Our OS's at that time were Point 4's IRIS and Altos' Xenix. Then: SCO Xenix, SCO Unix, AIX, SCO-OS5, Caldera, RedHat 7, Debian Sarge, RedHat ES4, Debian Etch, Redhat ES5, Debian Lenny, RedHat ES6, Debian Squeeze. I've migrated our clients through those various versions with minimal interruption while preserving their investments in hardware and staff knowledge over time.

1980 BSBA Washington University, Saint Louis, Missouri