Unix/Linux OS/Linux

Dear Nix,
Could you please advise me, if there is more than one version of Linux, which would be best for me for general home/email and downloading programs/Skype etc.?  I have just installed Windows 8 Pro, following the removal of support for Win. XP and am not finding it simple to use at all.   As I have a secondary Drive, I thought it might be possible to install Linux on this drive. Could you let me have any advice on that, also, if I did this, how would I be able to choose which Drive/Program to start?
Very many thanks and Regards,

Hi Ken.

There are a lot of distributions out there, so here are some of the most popular:

- Ubuntu
- Fedora
- openSUSE

For a complete list, with a short description of distributions, please visit http://distrowatch.com/

And Linux "versions" are called "distributions", since they are all collections of kernel, software packages, boot loaders and other utilities. And they all have "versions".

When you install Linux on a PC that has another OS (Windows 8), Linux installation routine will offer you to setup multi-boot. Or at least in most popular distributions. But I'd say out of top 50, all are playing nice, so, don't worry.

So, download ISO images, burn installation DVD and be on your merry way.

Or, if you wish to try out some of them, before committing to one, why not install VirtualBox on your windows 8, then install on it one of the distributions, play around, see if you like it, or skip to the next one. Or even stay with Linux on VirtualBox, if you really like Windows 8.

If you do it like that, once you know that you have found the "distro of your life", you can always "tie the knot" and install it on the second drive.

Unix/Linux OS

UNIX, programing, C, C++, awk, shell scripts, Web, HTTP, Apache, firewall, AltaVista firewall, E-Mail, sendmail, IMAP4 POP3, DNS, NTP, system administration, TCP/IP, security

Digital UNIX
AltaVista Firewall