Unix/Linux OS/Web Applications for Viewing SMS.

Question
QUESTION: Dear Nix

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Message_Service‎

Is it possible to design and develop Web applications where mobile users can view their inbox and outbox SMS Messages  ?.

As a example : A Website where mobile user first register their name, address, mobile number, mobile service provider etc. The Mobile phone user will able to to view his/her SMS - Inbox and Outbox messages on this website after successfully login.

As a example Mobile User forgets his Cellphone at some place and in case he wants to check his SMS Box on other PC, this could have been possible after getting connected to internet and view the SMS Messages.

Technically is it possible to design and develop web applications and also it is possible to integrate the same features in One's Gmail, Hotmail, Rediffmail, Yahoo email server applications ?.

Example : In One's Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail etc account, one can view SMS - Inbox and Outbox messages. That is the Email server applications provide these facility.

Is this System development feasible to design and develop ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hi.

I am not really into SMS, but from my perspective, once SMS is delivered to the Phone, it will be there, only. Unless the provider is willing to intercept every SMS and keep a copy in some server folder, accessible via some service (REST, SOAP,...), the message is gone.

Now, I have not used GMail, Yahoo SMS service, so I do not know how they work. I suspect they are treating SMS as just another form of mail, where they send a copy to the designated phone. So, it boils down to: what is a particular provider of mobile services offering. Most of them do not offer this kind of service, as far as I know.

Nix.

QUESTION: Dear Nix

Thank you. You have interpreted my requirement very correctly.

My Requirement is I should be able to View/Read SMS Messages which were send by me i.e. Outbox and View/Read SMS Messages which were received by me from other people i.e. Inbox through a Web Application.

As a example :

Prashant Akerkar sends SMS to Nix's Mobile Phone. Nix got the SMS on his Mobile Phone. i.e Nix's Inbox and for Prashant Akerkar's Mobile Phone this will be Outbox. Now Nix sends SMS to Prashant Akerkar's Mobile Phone. Prashant Akerkar recieves SMS which will be in his Inbox and for Nix this SMS will be in his Outbox.

Now Prashant Akerkar and Nix wants to view their Inbox and Outbox
SMS MESSAGES through a Web application where they will login to the Web Site.

OR

Can GMAIL, YAHOO, HOTMAIL Email Server side applications give this facility to view SMS messages along with email messages who have created email accounts with them ?.

Is this possible ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant.

I do not know much about exact SMS specification, but I would say "not without external help".

Just think about it, even the way you structure your example, SMS is like a mail message. And unlike IMAP4 protocol, where messages physically reside on the server, this is more like POP3 where client pulls all messages from the server to its private folders.

So, can you read such email from some server? The answer is "no". The message is no longer on the server, but on the client's computer (or in SMS case, on the mobile phone itself). You have no access to client's computer (or, let us say, you should not have access to it).

If the POP3 server decided to keep a copy of a message, that would be a different story. Still, how your application would access such a copy is up to that particular server. In a general case, servers DO NOT keep copies of mails that were removed by the client from them. Just like they do not keep copies of SMS messages, normally.

Nix.

Unix/Linux OS

nix