Unix/Linux OS/Third Party Components/Controls Purchase Cost.

Question
Dear Mike

If Third party Components/Controls Toolkit is used in the system
being developed by the Information Technology Service Provider, Who should bear the purchase cost of this Toolkit ?.

1. Software Development Company
2. Client who requires the System to be developed by Software Development Company.

i.e. 1 or 2.

Do you feel even this may work ?. If a mutual understanding between both parties takes place, the purchase cost of the Toolkit
can be shared between both parties equally  as 50 % each ?.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant,

The answer to your question is very dependent on the specific situation. My rule of thumb, if the software development company is using the 3rd party component for a solution in which they will resell to more than a single customer than they should be responsible for the cost. However, If the software development company has been hired to build a specific solution for a single customer than the cost should be passed on to the client.

I would rarely ever do a 50/50 share of the cost. You really need someone to take sole ownership and that party should bare the full cost.  

Unix/Linux OS

Mike Mazzolini