Unix/Linux OS/Installation Woes For New OS.

Question
Hello, Nix. Since installing the Linux Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon cd/dvd to replace the deteriorating Windows XP Service Pack 3, I am unable to install any other cd/rom/dvd software through my external usb drive, connecting to a Gateway LT2022u Netbook. When the external usb drive is activated, a pop-up will tell me that the disk is not mounted; and that installation is not possible. What am I to do?

Answer
Hi Adonis.

I think first some investigation is in order. When you connect your CD you should find out what the system sees.

List USB drives and devices, in general:

lsusb -tv
lsdev
lshal

Then go to /var/log and look at system logs, like "dmesg" and "messages". There should be some info about what is going on when you connect the drive.

With more insight, you may get ahead of your problem.

Nix.

Unix/Linux OS

nix