Unix/Linux OS/Installing Woes 2.

Well, Mr. Mkitwrk, I did okay on the terminal until to I'd reached the level of the command line that instructed: fdisk /dev/sdb. When I pressed enter I would get UNABLE TO OPEN> NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY. Even when I had used sudo, /dev/sdb1, sdc, sdXN, sdX, etc. I did everything that you had instructed, but I could not get pass the fdisk /dev/sdb level. What went wrong? I have a HP DVD Rom externel drive. No disk was in the drive went I'd plugged it in. As I had mentioned earlier, I had terminal success until that level. Your assistance would be apprecited. Thank you.

As I mentioned in my first response, if you don't see the USB drive as you step through each command, it is time to stop and send info up to that point.
I'll need for you to copy/paste the terminal session screen content...
It appears that you did not have a drive show up at the point of running:

ls -l /dev/sd*

So, while the USB drive is connected and running, I'd need to have all the output from these commands:

ls -l /dev/sd*

I also need to know the drive manufacturer and model so I can tell whether it is in the list from lsusb.

Once I have that info, I should be able to pinpoint the stage at which there is a failure.
Without that info, I can't help much...

Unix/Linux OS

Expert: Creating and managing *nix database/application servers for use with dl4/unibasic/mysql/apache/thoroughbred applications, especially in medical environments. Strengths: scripting, backup and disaster recovery, mysql, apache2, routing, samba/smbfs/cifs, LPRng, CUPS, telnet/ssh/sftp, vsftp, rsync, new system preparation, system duplication, database design, system conversions (AIX/SCO-OS5/Linux) Currently working on scripted setup of LAMP servers using PDO for MySQL and Oracle. Compiling Apache2, openssl, php and libxml2 from source and linking to libraries for MySQL and Oracle InstantClient. Works great so far! Familiar With: php, c, awk, sed, gnome, nfs and lots of other *nix tools

I've been head of development at our company since 1984. Our OS's at that time were Point 4's IRIS and Altos' Xenix. Then: SCO Xenix, SCO Unix, AIX, SCO-OS5, Caldera, RedHat 7, Debian Sarge, RedHat ES4, Debian Etch, Redhat ES5, Debian Lenny, RedHat ES6, Debian Squeeze. I've migrated our clients through those various versions with minimal interruption while preserving their investments in hardware and staff knowledge over time.

1980 BSBA Washington University, Saint Louis, Missouri