Unix/Linux OS/Installing Woes 2.

Question
Well, Mr. Mkitwrk, I did okay on the terminal until to I'd reached the level of the command line that instructed: fdisk /dev/sdb. When I pressed enter I would get UNABLE TO OPEN> NO SUCH FILE OR DIRECTORY. Even when I had used sudo, /dev/sdb1, sdc, sdXN, sdX, etc. I did everything that you had instructed, but I could not get pass the fdisk /dev/sdb level. What went wrong? I have a HP DVD Rom externel drive. No disk was in the drive went I'd plugged it in. As I had mentioned earlier, I had terminal success until that level. Your assistance would be apprecited. Thank you.

Answer
As I mentioned in my first response, if you don't see the USB drive as you step through each command, it is time to stop and send info up to that point.
I'll need for you to copy/paste the terminal session screen content...
It appears that you did not have a drive show up at the point of running:

ls -l /dev/sd*

So, while the USB drive is connected and running, I'd need to have all the output from these commands:

lsusb
ls -l /dev/sd*
lsmod

I also need to know the drive manufacturer and model so I can tell whether it is in the list from lsusb.

Once I have that info, I should be able to pinpoint the stage at which there is a failure.
Without that info, I can't help much...

Thanks,
Larry

Unix/Linux OS

mkitwrk