Unix/Linux OS/Installing Woes 2.

Thank you for your reply, Nix. I'd tried everything you sent on my terminal, and I thought I was doing okay, but that dreaded pop-up appeared again. Here is what the pop-up window contained....UNABLE TO MOUNT CANON_ij.
      Error mounting system-managed device /dev/sr0: command line: `mount "/mnt/usb-hp_dvd-rom_rm475e_201107150000000204d -0:0"' exited with non-zero exit staus 32: mount: block device /devsr0 iswrite-protected, mount read-only mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad super block on/dev/sr0, missing or codepage orhelper program or other error in some case useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg tall or so.
        I hope this helps, Nix. And if it helps, the disk is limited to Windows and MAC OS only. I have a Linux Mint 16 Petra Cinnamon OS; and my Internet device is a Gateway LT2022u; and if you have other suggestions, please share it. And I thank you very much.

Firstly, it seems that your /etc/sftab already has an entry for the removable DVD-ROM. You should be able to edit it and customize it. But I don't think that is the root of your problems.

Upon connecting, system tries to mount the newly detected device. That is good. It means USB recognition is OK. You didn't tell me what "usblist -tv" shows, but it should be OK.

It then complains that the device is read-only, which it is. And that is also OK. It tries to mount with RO option set. So far, so good.

The point where it fails is the actual mounting. It says the file system type is not recognized.

What is on that CD or DVD in the drive?

You should be able to play with mounting manually. Connect the drive (it will fail) and try:

mount -t file_system_type /dev/sr0 /mnt/cdrom

"file_system_type" must be one of the supported ones. Most likely iso9660.

Unix/Linux OS

UNIX, programing, C, C++, awk, shell scripts, Web, HTTP, Apache, firewall, AltaVista firewall, E-Mail, sendmail, IMAP4 POP3, DNS, NTP, system administration, TCP/IP, security

Digital UNIX
AltaVista Firewall