Unix/Linux OS/Is Linux better than microsoft?

I am fed up with Microsoft and and I know there has to be something better out there. Linux exists but I am hard to find some good definite answers on it. Is Linux is better a better product than microsoft?

But since college I never or rarely hear Linux mentioned. I don't ever hear it talked about on television in the media and that made me believe it faded away or Microsoft powerhouse had engulfed it and maybe made products that were up to par with Linux and more user friendly.

I hate Microsoft and if there is something better than it I find it almost conspiracy kind of strange that you never hear about anything that could be or is better than Microsoft that anyone can use.

Hi Mark,

First came many OS's - pretty much a new OS for every processor architecture.
Then came Unix (parent to Linux).
Then windows was developed by Xerox under Unix.
(and the $300.00 mouse to navigate on the $4000 8 MB color X-Terminal...)
Then Apple's LISA followed by the Mac - a *nix variant on both, a much cheaper monitor vs. an X-Terminal and a $15.00 mouse...
Then Bill Gates bought MS-DOS from Digital (not DEC)...
Then Miscreantsoft started writing Windows 2.0 while preserving MS-DOS (I never saw version 1.0...)
Then MS and Apple got into lawsuits over "Windows" -- never mind that Xerox put the software for X-Windows in the public domain years and years before...

If you haven't heard about Unix/Linux, then you haven't paid attention.
All iPhones, Macs, and Androids run a *nix OS - most base internet routers, most web-servers and about 99% of all telephone switching systems run some variant of *nix. (that's what Unix was developed to do - in 1968 - replace all those girls in roller skates pulling and plugging connections for telephone calls for AT&T)

Microsoft is the young kid on the block... Xerox and AT&T had the first windowing system. Aplle had the second. Microsoft was third. Microsoft is the one who keeps trying to make things work their way - more complicated than needed, due to making bad decisions, then having to keep them for backwards compatibility while also keeping bad ideas from MS-DOS stuffed into the back end... they missed the boat, but they sure sold the hell out of it. And those who bought in have paid and paid - and they are still paying - a lot - as Microsoft pushes things that make the older development environments non-functional on the newer releases - and for those who bought in, they have to re-buy all their tools and maintain multiple versions based on Microsoft's desire to increase their bottom line...

That's why everyone is using *nix of some sort - except Microsoft. They are the only major player still out there who doe not use *nix. All others do - Apple, IBM, Sparc, Oracle... *nix runs on any processor -- how about Windows... On a Motorola 68000?, On IBM mainframe processors? On various RISC processors? - Not a chance. - *nix runs on all of them.

Unix/Linux OS

Expert: Creating and managing *nix database/application servers for use with dl4/unibasic/mysql/apache/thoroughbred applications, especially in medical environments. Strengths: scripting, backup and disaster recovery, mysql, apache2, routing, samba/smbfs/cifs, LPRng, CUPS, telnet/ssh/sftp, vsftp, rsync, new system preparation, system duplication, database design, system conversions (AIX/SCO-OS5/Linux) Currently working on scripted setup of LAMP servers using PDO for MySQL and Oracle. Compiling Apache2, openssl, php and libxml2 from source and linking to libraries for MySQL and Oracle InstantClient. Works great so far! Familiar With: php, c, awk, sed, gnome, nfs and lots of other *nix tools

I've been head of development at our company since 1984. Our OS's at that time were Point 4's IRIS and Altos' Xenix. Then: SCO Xenix, SCO Unix, AIX, SCO-OS5, Caldera, RedHat 7, Debian Sarge, RedHat ES4, Debian Etch, Redhat ES5, Debian Lenny, RedHat ES6, Debian Squeeze. I've migrated our clients through those various versions with minimal interruption while preserving their investments in hardware and staff knowledge over time.

1980 BSBA Washington University, Saint Louis, Missouri