Urology/prostate biopsy

Fred Powell wrote at 2013-07-01 21:26:20
I just had a prostate biopsy and will know the results in a week. I wish now I had ignored my doctor's urging that I see a urologist. It's been 5 weeks since a PSA of 21 came back. I should have lived with it, but I didn't. "Blissful ignorance" is a good way to go. Two months ago, I felt fine, was at the beach having a great time. Four days later, I had a normal checkup which found "a much higher" PSA than my regular doctor had found in the past. Should have let it go. Didn't. Prostate biopsy was painful, nerve-raking and bloody. I had to toss two pains of underpants and some jeans at the end of the day. If the result comes back negative, it will be my last trip to a urologist. I'd walk out in a lightning storm holding a set of golf irons over my head first. In short, don't do it!  

Stephen W. Leslie, MD

Questions concerning erectile dysfunction, kidney stones and prostate disorders including prostate cancer. I have a special interest in kidney stone disease prevention.

Full time practicing urologist with 30 years experience. Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of Urology at Creighton University Medical Center. Editor in Chief of eMedicine Urology internet textbook. Author of only NIH approved book written for patients by a urologist on the subject of kidney stones "The Kidney Stones Handbook". Inventor of the "Parachute" and "Escape" kidney stone baskets and the "Calculus" stone prevention analysis computer program.

American Urological Association, Ohio State Medical Association, Sexual Medicine Society

Men's Health, Journal of Urology, Urology, Healthwatch Magazine, Emergency Medicine Monthly, eMedicine, "The Kidney Stones Handbook", and numerous articles in various newspapers. He is also the editor of the Urology Board Review by McGraw-Hill used by urologists to study for their Board Certification Examinations.

Graduate of New York Medical College with residencies completed at Metropolitan Hospital New York, Albany Medical Center and University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Thirlby Award of the American Urological Association. Rated as one the country's Best Urologists by the Independent Consumer's Research Institute