Urology/urinary stone and retrograde ejaculation

Kidney Stone Guy wrote at 2014-12-29 14:05:13
I have had chronic Uric acid stones since I was 18 years old. I spit out one or two a year. It is hereditary in my family. I have a cousin that had her first at 15. Some people are just "stone makers". So for anyone to tell you you are too young to have them may not be we versed in the subject. I had a 10mm stone at 18 and obviously had to have surgery. This after the giant stone traveled through the entire urinary tract before becoming lodged at the base of my urethra in the bladder. I had at least five different doctors with another Eight or so misdiagnosis before a CT scan revealed the demon, most of these were because I was "a bit young for stones". I suffered miserably for months wishing and praying for my agony to end. However; Flomax will interfere with ejaculation, that much is true. I just want it to be clear that teenagers while less commonly do in fact get stones as well as adults.

swleslie wrote at 2014-12-31 17:58:41
Uric acid stones can usually be totally prevented using a combination of alkalinizing agents like potassium citrate as well as uric acid lowering agents such as allopurinol.  The goal is to take enough of the alkalinizing agents to neutralize the excess acid that is the cause of most uric acid stones so we shoot for a urine pH of 6.5 (almost neutral).  If the blood or urine uric acid levels are increased, then allopurinol can help lower them.  The combination of these two remedies can almost totally eliminate uric acid stone formation and even dissolve some existing stones.

Urology

Stephen W. Leslie, MD